IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ
You are scheduled for a test of your inner ear balance system. This test is a painless procedure that takes approximately one-and-one-half hours. You will be wearing goggles similar to a swim mask. One portion of the test involves running cool and warm air or water into your ear canal. The effect may cause you to feel dizzy momentarily.
Please follow these simple instructions prior to taking the test:
- Avoid facial make-up the day of the test.
- Do not wear cologne/perfume the day of the test.
Four hours before the test:
- Do not eat a large meal. You may have a small meal or a light snack.
- No caffeine.
- No smoking.
Twenty-four to forty-eight hours prior to taking the test:
- No alcohol
- Do not take any of the following medications:
- Anti-dizziness medications (Antivert, Scopalomine, Meclazine, Dramamine)
- Tranquilizers (Valium, Librium, Atarax, Vistaril, Ativan, Xanex, Librax, Tranxene)
- Sedatives (Halcion, Restoril, Nembutal, Seconal, or any sleeping pill)
- Analgesics-Narcotics (Codeine, Demerol, Phenaphen, Tylenol with Codeine, Percocet, Darvocet)
- Anti-seizure Medication (Dilantin, Tegretol, Phenobarbitol)
You may take blood pressure medications, heart medications, thyroid medication, Tylenol, insulin, estrogen, etc. Always consult with your physician before discontinuing any prescribed medications.